Report of the 3rd Committee.
|UN Document Symbol||A/41/801|
|Convention||Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities|
|Document Type||Report of the 3rd Committee|
|Subjects||Persons with Disabilities|
6 November 1986
Forty-first session Agenda item 90
IMPLEMENTATION OF THE WORLD PROGRAMME OF ACTION CONCERNING DISABLED PERSONS AND THE UNITED NATIONS DECADE OF DISABLED PERSONS
Report of the Third Committee
Rapporteur: Mr. Francis AGUILAR-HECHT (Guatemala)
1. At its 3rd plenary meeting, on 20 September 1986, the General Assembly, on the recommendation of the General Committee, decided to include in the agenda of its forty-first session the item entitled "Implementation of the World Programme of Action concerning Disabled Persons and the United Nations Decade of Disabled Persons: report of the Secretary-General" and to allocate it to the Third Committee.
2. The Third Committee considered the item jointly with items 85, 86, 87 and 91 at its 16th to 22nd, 27th and 32nd meetings, on 16, 17, 20 to 22, 29 and
31 October. An account of the discussion of the Committee is contained in the relevant summary records (A/C.3/41/SR.16-22, 27 and 32).
3. The Committee had before it the following documentation:
(a) Report of the Economic and Social Council for the year 1986, chapter V, section B (A/41/3) , 1/
(b) Implementation of the World Programme of Action concerning Disabled Persons and the United Nations Decade of Disabled Persons: report of the Secretary-General (A/41/605 and Corr.l),
1/ Official Records of the General Assembly, Forty-first Session, Supplement No. 3 (A/41/3).
86-29070 0408P (E)
A/41/801 English Page 2
(c) Letter dated 15 May 1986 from the Permanent Representative of India to the United Nations addressed to the Secretary-General (A/41/341-S/18065 and Cott.l).
4. At the 16th meeting, on 16 October, the Under-Secretary-General for International Economic and Social Affairs and the Director of the Social Development Division of the Centre for Social Development and Humanitarian Affairs made introductory statements (see A/C.3/41/SR.16).
5. At the 32nd meeting, on 31 October, the Officer-in-Charge of the Centre for Social Development and Humanitarian Affairs made a concluding statement
II. CONSIDERATION OP DRAFT RESOLUTION (A/C.3/41/L.25)
6. At the 27th meeting, on 29 October, the representative of Belgium introduced a draft resolution (A/C.3/41/L.25) entitled "Implementation of the World Programme of Action concerning Disabled Persons and the United Nations Decade of Disabled Persons", sponsored by Belgium, Egypt, Germany, Federal Republic of, Greece, Jordan, the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, Morocco, the Philippines, Senegal, Sweden, Yugoslavia and Zaire, subsequently joined by Canada and Oman.
7. A statement by the Secretary-General on the programme budget implications of the draft resolution was circulated in document A/C.3/41/L.29.
8. At its 32nd meeting, on 31 October, the Committee adopted draft resolution A/C.3/41/L.25 without a vote (see para. 10).
9. After the adoption of the draft resolution, the representative of the United States of America made a statement (see A/C.3/41/SR.32).
III. RECOMMENDATION OF THE THIRD COMMITTEE
10. The Third Committee recommends to the General Assembly the adoption of the following draft resolution:
Implementation of the World Programme of Action concerning Disabled Persons and the United Nations Decade of Disabled Persons
The General Assembly,
Recalling all its pertinent resolutions, including resolution 37/52 of 3 December 1982, by which.; it adopted the World Programme of Action concerning Disabled Persons, 2/ and resolution 37/53 of 3 December 1982, by which, inter alia, it proclaimed the period 1983-1992 the United Nations Decade of Disabled Persons,
2/ A/37/351/Add.1 and Add.1/Corr.1, annex, sect. VIII, commendation 1 (IV).
A/41/801 English Page 3
Recalling its resolution 40/31 of 29 November 1985 and reasserting all of its relevant provisions,
Noting with satisfaction the concrete measures already carried out by the Governments of Member States, the bodies and organizations of the United Nations system and non-governmental organizations to implement the objectives of the World Programme of Action within the framework of the United Nations Decade of Disabled Persons,
Noting with appreciation the steps taken by the United Nations system and by the non-governmental organizations concerned to monitor the implementation of the World Programme of Action,
Mindful that, since developing countries are experiencing difficulties in mobilizing resources, international co-operation should be encouraged to assist national efforts in implementing the World Programme of Action and the United Nations Decade of Disabled Persons,
Taking note of the report of the Secretary-General on the implementation of the World Programme of Action concerning Disabled Persons and the United Nations Decade of Disabled Persons, 3/
1. Invites once again Member States to reinforce national committees as focal points for the United Nations Decade of Disabled Persons, to stimulate activities at the national level, to mobilize public opinion on behalf of the Decade, to participate in the implementation of disability projects with regard to the International Year of Disabled Persons and to assist in monitoring and evaluating the implementation of the World Programme of Action concerning Disabled Persons;
2. Renews its invitation to all States to give high priority to projects concerning the prevention of disabilities, rehabilitation and the eaualization of opportunities for disabled persons within the framework of bilateral assistance;
3. Requests the Secretary-General to continue to administer donated funds, using them for projects under the present structure of the Voluntary Fund for the United Nations Decade of Disabled Persons, 4/ and, in addition, to continue to make new provisions in order to offer a selection of projects to donor countries that might be willing to finance a particular programme under the "Special Purpose Contributions";
3/ A/41/605 and Corr.l.
4/ Formerly known as the United Nations Trust Fund for the International Year of Disabled Persons (see resolution 40/31, para. 10).
A/41/801 English Page 4
4. Reaffirms that the resources of the Voluntary Fund should he used to support catalytic and innovative activities in order to implement further the objectives of the World Programme of Action within the framework of the United Nations Decade of Disabled Persons, with priority given, as appropriate, to programmes and projects of the least developed countries,
5. Invites Governments and non-governmental organizations to continue their contributions to the Voluntary Fund and calls upon Governments and non-governmenti1 organizations that have not yet done so to consider contributing tc the Fund,
6. Welcomes the offer of the Government of Sweden to act as host In 1987 to a meeting or experts, consisting largely of disabled persons, in conformity with the relevant provisions of resolution 39/06 of
23 November 1984,
7. Tikes note with appreciation of the status of preparations for the forthcoming meeting of] experts,
8. Requests the Secretary-General to report to the General Assembly at its forty-second session on the implementation of the present resolution and on the outcome of the meeting of experts,
9. Decides to include in the provisional agenda of its forty-second session the item entitled "Implementation of the World Programme of Action concerning Disabled Persons and the United Nations Decade of Disabled Persons".