Human rights questions : report of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights : report of the 3rd Committee : General Assembly : 59th session
6 December 2004
Agenda item 105 (e)
Human rights questions: report of the United Nations High
Commissioner for Human Rights
Report of the Third Committee
Rapporteur: Mr. Carlos Enrique GarcÃa GonzÃ¡lez (El Salvador)
1. At its 2nd plenary meeting, on 17 September 2004, the General Assembly, on
the recommendation of the General Committee, decided to include in the agenda of
its fifty-ninth session under the item entitled âHuman rights questionsâ, the sub-item
entitled âReport of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rightsâ and
to allocate it to the Third Committee.
2. The Committee held a general discussion on the sub-item jointly with subitems
105 (b) and (c) at its 24th, 25th and 31st to 34th meetings, on 26 and
29 October and 1 and 2 November 2004, and took action under sub-item 105 (e) at
its 54th meeting, on 24 November. An account of the Committeeâs discussion is
contained in the relevant summary records (A/C.3/59/SR.24, 25, 31-34 and 54).
3. For documentation before the Committee under this sub-item, see A/59/503.
4. At its 24th meeting, on 26 October, the United Nations High Commissioner for
Human Rights addressed the Committee. The Committee then engaged in a
question-and-answer session with the High Commissioner in which the
representatives of Switzerland, the Netherlands, Norway, Canada, Guinea, Cuba,
Peru, New Zealand, Indonesia, India, China, Algeria, the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya,
Argentina and Burkina Faso took part (see A/C.3/59/SR.24).
5. For the action taken by the Third Committee under this sub-item, see
04-63719 (E) 081204