Draft report of the Sub-Commission on Prevention of Discrimination and Protection of Minorities on its 46th session.
Economic and Social
22 August 1994
COMMISSION ON HUMAN RIGHTS
Sub-Commission on Prevention of
Discrimination and Protection
Agenda item 22
DRAFT REPORT OF THE SUB-COMMISSION ON PREVENTION OF
DISCRIMINATION AND PROTECTION OF MINORITIES ON ITS
Rapporteur: Mr. Osman El-HajjÃ©
XVIII PROMOTION, PROTECTION AND RESTORATION OF
HUMAN RIGHTS AT NATIONAL, REGIONAL AND
INTERNATIONAL LEVELS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
* E/CN.4/Sub.2/1994/L.10 and addenda contain the draft chapters of the
report relating to the organization of the session and the various items on
the agenda. Resolutions and decisions adopted by the Sub-Commission, as well
as draft resolutions and decisions for action by, and other matters of concern
to, the Commission on Human Rights, will be contained in documents
E/CN.4/Sub.2/1994/L.11 and addenda.
XVIII. PROMOTION, PROTECTION AND RESTORATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS AT
NATIONAL, REGIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL LEVELS:
(a) Prevention of discrimination and protection of
children: human rights and youth
(b) Human rights and disability
1. The Sub-Commission considered item 17 at its 12th to 14th,
and 27th meetings, held on 10, 11 and 19 August 1994.
2. The Sub-Commission had before it, in connection with its consideration of
the item, a report prepared by the Secretary-General pursuant to
Sub-Commission resolution 1993/22 (E/CN.4/Sub.2/1994/35).
3. In the general debate on the item 17, statements 1/ were made by the
following members of the Sub-Commission: Mrs. Forero Ucros (12th),
Mr. GuissÃ© (12th), Mrs. Koufa (13th), Ms. Palley (13th) and Mr. Zhong (13th).
4. Statements were made by the observers for Brazil (14th), Cuba (14th),
El Salvador (14th) and Iraq (14th).
5. The Sub-Commission also heard statements by representatives of the
following non-governmental organizations: American Association of
Jurists (13th), Habitat International Coalition (13th), Human Rights
Advocates (13th), International Association of Educators for World
Peace (13th), International Islamic Federation of Student
Organizations (14th), International League for the Rights and Liberation of
Peoples (13th), International Lesbian and Gay Association (13th),
International Movement against All Forms of Discrimination and Racism (14th),
Liberation (14th), Minority Rights Group (13th) and World Organization against
6. A statement equivalent to a right of reply was made by the observer for
Viet Nam (14th).
Children and the right to adequate housing
7. At its 27th meeting, on 19 August 1994, the Sub-Commission considered
draft resolution E/CN.4/Sub.2/1994/L.7 sponsored by Mr. Bengoa, Mr. Eide,
Mrs. Forero Ucros, Mr. GuissÃ©, Mrs. Gwanmesia, Mr. Lindgren Alves, Mr. Maxim,
Mr. Merrills and Mr. Yimer. Mrs. Koufa subsequently joined the sponsors.
8. A statement in connection with the draft resolution was made by
Mrs. Forero Ucros.
9. The draft resolution was adopted without a vote.
10. For the text of the resolution, see chapter II, section A,
Situation of children deprived of their liberty
11. At the same meeting, the Sub-Commission considered draft resolution
E/CN.4/Sub.2/1994/L.9 sponsored by Mr. Alfonso MartÃnez, Mr. Bengoa,
Mr. Bossuyt, Mr. Boutkevitch, Ms. Chavez, Mrs. Koufa, Mr. Eide, Mr. El-HajjÃ©,
Mr. Fan, Mrs. Forero Ucros, Mr. GuissÃ©, Mrs. Gwanmesia, Mr. Hakim,
Mr. Fix Zamudio, Mr. Khan, Mr. Lindgren Alves, Mr. Maxim, Ms. Palley,
Mr. Ramadhane, Ms. Warzazi, Mr. Yimer and Mr. Yokota.
12. The draft resolution was adopted without a vote.
13. For the text of the resolution, see chapter II, section A,
Human rights and disability
14. At the same meeting, on 19 August 1994, the Sub-Commission considered
draft resolution E/CN.4/Sub.2/1994/L.12 sponsored by Mr. El-HajjÃ©.
Mr. Boutkevitch, Mr. Fan, Ms. Palley, Ms. Warzazi and Mr. Yimer subsequently
joined the sponsors.
15. Ms. Warzazi revised the sixth preambular paragraph by deleting, after the
word "also", the words "of the disturbing accuracy".
16. In connection with operative paragraph 3, which read "Decides to remain
seized of the question and to consider it at its forty-seventh session under
the agenda item entitled âReview of further developments in fields with which
the Sub-Commission has been concernedâ;", Ms. Ferriol EchevarrÃa proposed that
the question of human rights and disability be retained under agenda
item 17 (b) at the forty-seventh session of the Sub-Commission. The amendment
was accepted by the sponsors.
17. Mr. Decaux proposed to insert, after the words "les RÃ¨gles", the words
"par elles-mÃªmes". The amendment was accepted by the sponsors.
18. Statements in connection with the draft resolution, revisions and
amendments were made by Mr. Decaux, Mr. El-HajjÃ©, Ms. Ferriol EchevarrÃa,
Mr. GuissÃ©, Ms. Palley and Ms. Warzazi.
19. The draft resolution, as revised and amended, was adopted without a vote.
20. For the text as adopted, see chapter II, section A, resolution 1994/10.